Photograph of the top part of a Form I-9.

I-9 Form -- Employment Eligibility Verification

This form is mandated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. As stated on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website:

“All U.S. employers must complete and retain a Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the United States. This includes citizens and noncitizens. On the form, the employer must examine, and record, the employment eligibility and identity document(s) that are presented by the employee.”

This form is done differently if you are an international student.

American Students

At the time you are hired, you will be instructed to go to the Warrior Hub or the Rochester Student and Campus Services office to complete additional hiring documents. To complete the Form I-9, you will be required to present original identification documents (not photocopies) to the WSU staff member. The list of acceptable documents (PDF) is determined by the Department of Homeland Security.

The most frequently used forms of identification for the I-9 form include:
  • An unexpired Passport or
  • Original social security card or
  • Certified copy of your birth certificate
  • Unexpired driver’s license or
  • Warrior ID  

If you do not have the documents you need in Winona you may not begin working until you can obtain the documents and complete your Form I-9. If your family needs to mail a document to you, we recommend that they do not mail your social security card or passport. Many families mail a certified copy of a birth certificate to their sons or daughters.

International Students

If you are an international student and a new employee, you must complete your Form I-9 with the Student Payroll Manager before you may begin working. Please contact for additional information and instructions.

Before you may begin working, you will need a Social Security Card. If you do not have one, you will be given instructions in the Student Payroll Office regarding how to apply. You will not be permitted to apply for a social security card until you have been in the United States at least 10 days.