Photo of a W-4 form.

W-4 Form – Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate

American Students

What you fill in on the W-4 form determines how much federal and state income taxes are withheld from your paychecks every two weeks.

If you are not sure how to complete this form, you should get advice from a family member. All student payroll income is taxable, including work study.

International Students

International students who have been in the U.S. for less than 5 years with an F1 or J1 Visa, must complete two W-4 forms. International tax withholding policy determines how these forms are to be completed. You will complete these forms in the Student Payroll Office before you may begin working.

Once you have been in the U.S. for more than 5 years as an F1 or J1 student, you will be required to complete a new W-4 form. At this time you will have the same options for completing the form as American students have.

Some students are residents of countries which have treaties with the United States that allow us to pay you and not withhold any income tax from your paychecks. If you are from a treaty country, you will receive more information about this when you meet with the Student Payroll manager.