Faculty may apply for a variety of intercultural funding and learning opportunities.
On-Campus Funding Opportunities
Faculty-Led Exploratory Funding Grant
This program development fund assists faculty who are designing a new faculty-led course and is intended to be used toward site visit expenses.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Funding awards are up to $2000 for international travel, and up to $1000 for domestic travel. Applications and more information are available on the Faculty-Led Programs Information page.
Faculty Intercultural Learning Grant
This program exists to support WSU faculty members who are participating in intercultural professional development. Supported activities include participation in conferences, workshops, travel opportunities, or training events which are designed to enhance the intercultural competencies of attendees.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Funding awards are up to $2000 for international travel, and up to $1000 for domestic travel. See the application instructions (PDF).
Off-Campus Global Engagement Opportunities
SAI Faculty Fellows Program
SAI Faculty Fellows Program offers two one-month research fellowships in Italy each academic year in order to foster deeper connections between SAI affiliate schools (which WSU is) and Italian institutions, and provide teaching and/or research opportunities for faculty. One fellowship is in Florence or Rome, open to faculty in any discipline, and available in late summer or late fall. A second is in Milan in design-related fields and available in summer only. The deadline is early January of each year.
Richmond/AIFS Summer Visiting Faculty Fellowship Program
Teaching Away Opportunities
- Akita International University. AIU is a liberal arts college located in a rural area about 25 minutes from the center of Akita, Japan. All undergraduate courses are taught in English. Many international languages are also taught, including Japanese. All AIU degree-seeking students are required to study abroad for one year. Originally a Minnesota State Colleges & University system school, AIU became an independent institution in 2004. Faculty from any discipline may be in residence for a semester or year. Knowledge of Japanese is not required. Housing for foreign teachers is provided. There is no additional stipend.
- Hebei Foreign Studies University. Located in Shijiazhuang City, Hebei Province, China , HFSU is a private, comprehensive university. It has about 9,000 students, 72 academic majors, and specializes in language programs. Faculty from any discipline may be in residence for a short-term course/seminar (2-6 weeks) or for a semester. Knowledge of Chinese is not required but is helpful. Housing for foreign teachers is provided. There is no additional stipend.
- Hebei University of Technology is a public university located in Tianjin, China. It specializes in engineering studies, with other academic areas in technology, science, economics, and management. It has two campuses. Faculty from any discipline may be in residence for a short-term course/seminar (2-6 weeks) or for a semester. Knowledge of Chinese is not required but is helpful. HEBUT’s goal in hosting visiting faculty is to help their students enhance their ability to communicate in English, regardless of the discipline. Housing for foreign teachers is provided. There is no additional stipend.
- Tamkang University. Located in Taipei, Taiwan, TKU has four campuses (one of them a “Cyber Campus”) with many undergraduate and graduate programs. Classes are taught in English. The College of Global Development requires their students to study abroad. Other programs (such as the interdisciplinary Global Financial Management program, the Dept. of International Business, and the English Department) do not require but strongly urge their students to study abroad. Faculty from any discipline may be in residence for a short-term course/seminar (2-6 weeks) or for a semester. Knowledge of Chinese is not required. TKU has a summer seminar program (beginning of July into August) and offers visiting faculty who participate in this program a round trip air ticket, campus housing, and a stipend.
- Other visiting faculty opportunities may be available with other institutional partners, including Chung-An University (Seoul, S. Korea), University of Hong Kong (Pokfulam, Hong Kong), or Kristianstad University (Sweden). In some cases, knowledge of the on-site language is required.
For more information, see our Fulbright Programs.