Admission ProceduresView the admission procedures that apply to your degree or student status.
Admission Requirements for Music Majors
All incoming students who wish to major in music must
- Perform an audition.
- Have a personal interview with a professor in their major field.
Students electing a performance major (B.A. Performance) must pass a performance review at the end of the first year to receive full acceptance into the performance degree program.
Methods of assessment include juries, recitals and written examinations.
Students will receive a letter confirming their status.
If admitted, the student will enter either as a music major or as a major with Probationary Status (at the discretion of performing area full-time faculty and if sufficient room is available in the applied studio).
Admission Requirements for Music Minors
All incoming students who wish to minor in music must perform an audition.
Admission Requirements for Transfer Students
- Perform an entrance audition to determine level of lesson registration.
- Complete a minimum of one year of applied study at WSU at the level required for the individual degree program.
- Complete a minimum of one year in the large ensemble appropriate to the performance medium at WSU and satisfy ensemble requirements as stated in the WSU catalog.
- Perform all recitals required for the degree program at WSU (after at least one year of study with a WSU instructor).
Audition Procedures and Dates
Auditions for both admission into the music program and for scholarships are held every year during the Spring semester.