Next Steps

Ready to get started at WSU?

Here are the steps you should take to make sure that your benefits application and required documentation are in place for next semester.


Apply to WSU

You can complete your application for Winona State University online.

Some programs have extra requirements before you can take courses in those majors.

Check with the academic department to see if there are any program requirements.


Apply for Education Benefits

If you are planning to use education benefits, such as the MN GI Bill and Federal Tuition Assistance program, make sure you apply before the semester starts.


Request Military Transcripts

If you are a veteran or currently serving, you can receive college credit for skills and knowledge gained through training or during service.

Here’s how to request military transcripts be sent to WSU.

Army, Coast Guard, Marines or Navy Official Transcripts

Create a JST account and request an official transcript be sent to WSU. Do this once a year if you attend additional schools through the military.

Air Force Official Transcript

CCAF provides several options for ordering a transcript:

  • Free online order from CCAF if you have access to a .mil network
  • Free written request to CCAF
  • First Class and Overnight order through Credentials solutions
  • View an Unofficial Transcript

If you have any questions, please call CCAF Student Services / Commercial at 334.349.5066 DSN 749.5066.


Request Additional Transcripts

Your transcripts from any Minnesota State institutions are automatically pulled in, which is great for transferring credits.

However, if you’ve attended courses at another college or university, contact that institution to have your transcripts sent to


Send a Copy of Your COE

Once you receive your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in the mail, send a copy to Veterans Affairs Office.

You may upload a scanned copy or email it to 

You may also drop a paper copy in the VA office in Maxwell 106 or mail it to
Veterans Affairs Office, PO BOX 5838,
Winona, MN, 55987-5838


Complete the Enrollment Verification Application

Submit your enrollment verification form to receive benefits.

You have to submit this form each term.


Apply for WSU Financial Aid

In addition to military education benefits, you can apply for financial aid from WSU and the government.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is the main step you take to apply for financial aid. Complete the FAFSA starting Oct. 1— the earlier the better!—and before May 15.

You can also apply for scholarships such as:

  • Academic department scholarships
  • Talent-based scholarships
  • WSU Foundation scholarships

Explore all your options for financial aid and make a plan for how you'll pay for college.


Prepare to Come to Campus

WSU offers many options for on-campus housing, including apartments with all the amenities.

Whether you live on campus or not, consider signing up for a meal plan and decide if you want a parking permit.