Learn why the Department of Theatre & Dance may be for you!
Earn a Bachelor of Arts in Theatre
The department of Theatre & Dance offers the following degrees: Bachelor of Arts Theatre major, Bachelor of Arts Theatre minor and Bachelor of Arts Dance Minor with emphasis in performance, design/technical theatre and management.
We prepare our students to be active artists and scholars in community, drawing from the distinctive forms of theatre and dance, within a liberal arts context.
As artists/scholars, our students:
- Demonstrate knowledge of historical and cross-cultural foundations in theatre and dance as well as current practice and critical thought.
- Apply and practice skills that require collaboration, analysis, physical expression and self-awareness.
- Analyze, synthesize, integrate and evaluate process and production of self and others, within the context of class, stage and studio - the laboratories of our work.
- Participate in productions and artistic endeavors that enrich self and community.
Gain experience both onstage & backstage in 4-6 main stage productions a season.
The department of Theatre & Dance offers students opportunities and experiences in all aspect of production: performance, design/technology, choreography, stage-management and directing.
Students have "hands-on" training onstage and backstage in both of our theatres.
Numerous Scholarship Opportunities
The department of Theatre & Dance offers a variety of scholarships for incoming students, transfer and continuing students.
As a THAD student, you are eligible for a number of other scholarships and work opportunities, administered separately from those available through the Financial Aid Office.
- First-Year Presidential Scholarships
- Continuing Student Scholarships
- Work-Study Jobs
Become a member of student clubs.
- Alpha Psi Omega: National Theatre Honor Society.
- Wenonah Players: The oldest student club on campus and open to any student interested in theatre (generally as many as half of its members are not declared THAD majors or minors). The group is often active in WSU Homecoming, Freshman Orientation and other campus and community service events.
- WSU Dance Society: Student club open to any student interested in dance. The group's meeting times are posted on the Dance bulletin board outside the THAD department office.
- RunnerUp: Improv club for WSU students; membership by auditions.
Our graduates are employed across the U.S. in professional theatre companies.
- Great River Shakespeare Festival (Winona, MN)
- Gulfshore Playhouse (Naples, FL)
- Paul Bunyan Playhouse (Bemidji, MN)
- Kalamazoo Civic Theatre (Kalamazoo, MI)
- Crane River Theatre Company (Kearney, NE)
- New York City Ballet (NYC, NY)
- Milwaukee Repertory Theatre (Milwaukee, WI)
- National Theatre for Children (Minneapolis, MN)
- Central City Opera (Central City, CO)
- Barrington Stage Company (Pittsfield, MA)
Accredited Institutional Member of NAST and NASD
The Department of Theatre & Dance at WSU is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST) and the National Association of Schools of Dance (NASD).
National organizations responsible for accrediting undergraduate and graduate major programs in dance and theatre.
Accreditation by one of these organizations is evidence that the department and university take seriously their responsibilities for educating students and have met certain minimum standards of equipment, faculty and facilities.
In 2012, WSU received full membership NAST accreditation of the THAD theatre major program.