WSU Students traveling together.

Student Resources

The following links contain important information whether you are considering your options, preparing for departure, currently abroad, or returning home.

Not sure how to get started? Review our Exploring Your Options pages!

Need a passport? The WSU Study Abroad office can process applications for NEW passports (renewals are done online). Most Post Offices and even other businesses can also process passport applications. See the US State Department website for further information.

U.S. State Department Travel Information
Find out here whether you need a visa for your destination, learn more about your destination, and get tips for staying healthy and safe while away.

U.S. State Department Students Abroad
This web page provides a wealth of information for students with tips about how to plan, what to know before departure, and more.

TSA Travel Tips
Find out the latest information about airport screening by TSA.

Currency Conversion

The Ultimate Packing List
By Travelers for Travelers

Tips to Learn About Your Host Country (PDF)

Cell Phone Use Abroad
This website contains information on if and how to properly use your cell phone abroad, regardless of which carrier you use.

CDC - Centers for Disease Control
Information on which vaccinations are recommended for your destination, and advice about how to find medical care while abroad.

World Health Organization
Great tips for staying healthy while traveling.

Embassy and Consulate Finder
Find an embassy or consulate closest to where you are in the world.

Sexual Assault Support

Resources for Women Travelers

Resources for Students from Underrepresented Racial or Ethnic Backgrounds

Resources for LGBTQIA+ Students

Resources for Students with Disabilities

Resources and Advice for Transgender Travelers

Transgender people may have specific questions and concerns about traveling on study away programs – both domestically and internationally. The following links provide helpful resources, information, and suggestions for travel-related policies, procedures, and expectations.

Resources for First Generation College Students

WSU Laptop Information (PDF) - Use of laptop while away from WSU.

Financial Aid – Information on applying for and using financial aid for your experience abroad

Housing & Residence Life – Learn more about canceling housing for study abroad reasons without a penalty (see the ‘Can I break my housing agreement?’ information).

Interested in English teaching opportunities abroad?

The U.S. Student Fulbright program offers English Teaching Assistantships in around 75 countries – and you may not need an education background or knowledge of the local language to apply!

Several foreign governments run programs that hire Americans to teach English to children and adults. To give you an idea of what's out there, check out this list:

  • Austria: U.S. Teaching Assistantships

  • Chile: English Open Doors Program

  • France: Teaching Assistant Program in France

  • Georgia: Teach and Learn with Georgia

  • Japan: Japan Exchange and Teaching Program; Interac

  • Korea: English Program in Korea

  • Spain: North American Language and Culture Assistants in Spain

  • Thailand: Teach Thailand Corps

There are also organizations that will place you in another country to teach English, for a fee, such as CIEE. Or explore your options on your own through job board resources like the ESL Café.

Interested in studying for a degree or conducting research abroad?

Graduate study in other countries is possible, depending on your field.

  • Tuition varies around the world. Some countries are considerably cheaper than the U.S., while others may be the same or more.
  • A master’s degree may take only one year in some places, whereas a Ph.D. may be only three years.
  • Even in countries where another language is spoken, certain universities may teach classes in English.

There are several highly competitive scholarship programs that you may apply for:

  • Fulbright: Options for study or research in over 140 countries around the world
  • Boren: For studying languages and cultures of interest to U.S. National Security
  • DAAD: For study, internship, and research in Germany
  • Marshall: For advanced degree study at any public university in the UK or Rhodes, which is specific to Oxford University
  • Schwarzman: For a master’s degree in Global Affairs at Tsinghua University in China
  • Yenching: For a master’s degree in China Studies at Peking University in China

Interested in volunteering or working abroad?

  • The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals is a unique scholarship for study/work experience in Germany. It includes two months of language, four months of academic coursework in your field, and five months of internship in your field. Previous knowledge of German is not required.
  • International Professional Work

    Finding paid professional employment abroad can be a challenge, unless you have specialized skills that make you qualified for a work visa application. A good place to start learning about how to do this is Transitions Abroad. Transitions Abroad offers articles, paid and unpaid work and internship opportunities, volunteer organizations, and resume advice.
  • Working Holiday Jobs

    For students seeking temporary work, there are services like Bunac. Bunac is a fee-based service that will secure a “holiday maker” work visa for you and help you find temporary employment in about 14 different countries, usually for jobs like summer camp counselors, bartenders, or hotel staff.
  • Organic Farm Labor

    WWOOF is a membership organization facilitating organic farm labor in exchange for room and board in 130 countries around the world. Membership costs are minimal, and there are no additional fees from the organization.
  • Volunteer

    There are also organizations that will place you in another country for various volunteer needs in development, for a fee. Check out organizations like Princeton in Asia/Africa/Latin America.
  • Peace Corps

    The Peace Corps offers volunteer opportunities abroad. The two-year commitment gives you the opportunity to get to know a community in-depth while promoting mutual understanding between Americans and your host country. The application process is competitive, so it is best for you to apply as early as possible. Learn more about the Peace Corps through their website.