To support faculty in the planning and implementation of a faculty-led program, we've compiled helpful resources, information, and examples.
Please contact Kathy Jicinsky, Assistant Director of Study Abroad for Faculty-led Programs, at email@example.com with any questions.
So, You're Thinking of a Faculty-led Program
From One Faculty to Another
Leading a faculty-led program can be a truly rewarding, educational, memorable, and life-changing experience! Review notes, information, and suggestions from faculty-led program leaders in the So, You're Thinking of a Faculty-led Program (PDF).
Checklist of Responsibilities for Faculty-led Programs
There are many components to coordinating and leading a faculty-led program, and we've created a helpful chart that outlines a checklist of responsibilities for faculty-led programs.
Exploratory Funding Grant Application and Review Rubric
Faculty can apply for exploratory funding to help offset some of the costs associated with travel to do research/planning for an upcoming faculty-led course they will propose.
Applications are accepted on an annual basis.
Exploratory applications for Academic Year 2021-2022 were due on Nov. 1, 2021.
Exploratory applications for Academic Year 2022-2023 will be available in April 2022 with a deadline of Nov. 1, 2022.
In recent years, one exploratory trip per Academic Year was funded with priority given to:
- faculty submitting exploratory applications to new international destinations for a future faculty-led course, and
- faculty who have never led faculty-led programs before, and/or
- faculty who are seeking to target a specialized population in their faculty-led program audience.
Funding approval depends on the availability of resources and cannot be guaranteed. The Faculty-Led Study Away Programs Subcommittee (FLPS) evaluates the grant applications and makes recommendations using the Exploratory Funding Application Review Rubric.
The Exploratory Funding Application is found online in the Terra Dotta study abroad application system.
Faculty-led Proposal Application, Deadlines, and Review Rubric
Faculty-led proposal applications are found online in the Terra Dotta study abroad application system.
Review the Faculty-led Proposal Instructions for step-by-step guidance of how to complete an application, review FAQs, and learn tips.
Please contact Kathy Jicinsky, Assistant Director of Study Abroad for Faculty-led Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the proposal application process.
The Faculty-led Study Away Programs Subcommittee (FLPS) evaluates proposal applications using the Faculty-led Proposal Rubric (PDF).
Jan. 15, 2023: Any course (new or repeat) to be taught in –
- Fall 2023
- Winter Break 2024 (December 2023/January 2024)
- Spring 2024
- Spring Break 2024
- Summer 2024
If you'd like to review sample faculty-led course proposals, please contact the Study Abroad office at email@example.com.
Travel, Health, and Safety Policies
- The WSU Business Office provides helpful travel-related policies and information.
- The Crisis Management Plan for WSU Off-Campus Study Programs (PDF) is an important resource for faculty leaders. This is shared in printed and electronic copies with faculty prior to their program's departure.
- Faculty leaders complete a Program Incident Report (Word Document) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible should an incident occur.
Upon Program Completion: Faculty Narrative Report
After completing a faculty-led program, faculty leaders are required to submit a Narrative Report (Word document) within two weeks of return.