Injury on the Job

Injuries sustained by a student employee in the performance of their duties are covered by Worker’s Compensation. The Worker’s Compensation Law requires the prompt filing of accident reports in cases of injuries suffered on the job. Fines are assessed for late reporting.  Please discuss this issue with your supervisor if you have any concerns about being injured while you are working. 
An employee is responsible for notifying their supervisor of an injury and for assisting the supervisor in the prompt and accurate completion of an accident reporting form. Do not delay seeking emergency medical attention in order to report an injury.

For work-related injuries, the following steps should be taken:
  1. Report the injury to your supervisor as soon as possible. If this is a medical emergency, seek immediate care from Winona Health or Olmsted Medical Center.
  2. If the injury requires medical attention, go to Winona Health in Winona or Olmsted Medical Center in Rochester. If you need first aid information, call the Worker’s Compensation Managed Care Nurseline at 1.800.486.2913.
  3. As soon as possible after the injury occurs, the supervisor should contact Human Resources and secure the appropriate accident report forms that must be submitted to the Worker’s Compensation Division.

Any questions regarding accident reports or Worker’s Compensation should be referred to the University Human Resources Office.