Congratulations to our Warriors who are graduating!
We have watched as you have furthered your personal and academic strengths and attained your goal of receiving your degree.
Once you’ve completed 90 credits, you'll be invited via email to join an asynchronous "Graduation Readiness" course in D2L.
This optional course has all the information you’ll need about graduation, commencement, moving on to a graduate program, or exiting the university.
Meet Your Degree Requirements
Your Degree Audit is used to determine graduation eligibility. It should read: “All requirements are completed - in progress courses used.
Students completing their degree requirements in the summer term are eligible for summer graduation. Summer degrees are posted at the end of the final session in August.
If you believe that you should be graduating but the Degree Audit does not indicate all requirements are met, review your academic record with your advisor.
Review your Candidacy form (Program Plan) or degree audit to ensure that you have completed all of the approved courses listed on the form or are currently enrolled in the final classes listed.
Contact your advisor if your transcript and Candidacy form (Program Plan)/degree audit do not match. You will need to update the form and have any changes approved.
Your capstone or thesis needs to be completed by the time of graduation. Please keep your advisor updated on your progress with this project.
Submit a Graduation Application
Submit, make changes and check the status of your graduation application online. Log in using your StarID as your username in the format of ab1234cd or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students Graduating with Undergraduate Degrees:
- Requirements Needed Prior to Your Degree Check
- 90 minimum earned credits are required and you must be admitted to your major (pre-majors cannot apply)
- complete this process one academic year from when you plan to complete all your coursework (i.e. if you want to graduate Spring 2023, fill out your application Summer/Fall 2022)
- Do not wait until your last semester of enrollment to complete this process. You risk not being able to graduate or participate in any commencement ceremony.
- Apply for Graduation
- You must submit an application beginning August 1st for spring.summer applicants and January 1st for fall applicants. In your application you can indicate whiter you'll participate in commencement.
- The deadline to submit is midterm of the semester you plan to graduate
- Graduation Application Review
- After processing of your graduation application, you will receive an email via your WSU email account with degree completion and commencement information.
- Please complete the Grade Student Graduation Application. Ideally, you'll apply beginning August 1st for spring.summer applicants and January 1st for fall applicants.
- Please complete the Graduate Student Graduation Application. Ideally, you’ll apply beginning August 1st for spring/summer applicants and January 1st for fall applicants.
- Students who are earning a certificate only are not eligible to participate in commencement.
If you miss the midterm deadline, you can still apply for graduation. However, your name won't be listed in the commencement program and you won't receive provisional honors.
To participate in the commencement ceremony, your application must be approved by the Friday before finals week.
Please complete the Graduate Student Graduation Application. Ideally, you’ll apply for graduation when you register for your final term classes.
This will allow time to make any corrections to your classes that are required for graduation.
Thursday, Nov. 1 is the last day to submit a graduation application for Fall graduation, and April 1 is the last day to submit an application for Spring graduation and appear in the printed commencement program.
Approved late applicants may still participate in commencement, but will not be included in the publications.
Have Your Finances in Order
Satisfy any financial obligations, including your Exit Counseling for federal student loans.
Prepare to Leave Campus
Make sure your affairs are in order, and you may want to check with:
- Tech Support to return or purchase your laptop
- Career Services
- Alumni Relations
Get Ready for the Commencement Ceremony
Invite your friends and family to cheer you on at the Commencement Ceremony.
Check the WSU Bookstore for details about ordering caps, gowns, tassels, and hoods.
Caps and gowns are required for participation in Commencement ceremonies, and graduates are responsible for procuring their own regalia.
Contact email@example.com with any questions regarding regalia.
Cap & Gown
All gowns are black or purple, and the design is different depending on the level of degree you are earning:
- Undergraduate: Black gown
- Graduate - Master's: Black gown and a hood with a color specific to discipline
- Graduate - Doctorate: purple gown trimmed with black velvet and a hood with a color specific to discipline
To ensure appropriate regalia is available for Masters and Doctorate students, commencement participation must be declared at least 12 weeks prior to the ceremony.
Undergraduate students have different colored tassels based on their degree type:
- Associate of Arts: Blue
- Bachelor of Arts: White
- Bachelor of Applied Science: Gold
- Bachelor of Science: Gold
- Bachelor of Science Teaching: Light Blue
- Bachelor of Music: Pink
- Bachelor of Social Work: Citron
Students earning dual degrees will get the tassels for both degrees.
Graduate students in the following programs will have a black tassel:
- Education Specialist
- Master of Arts
- Master of Professional Accounting
- Master of Science
- Master of Social Work
- Professional Science Masters
Graduates from the Doctor of Education and Doctor of Nursing Practice will have a silver blue tassel
Academic Honor Cords (Latin Honors)
Academic Honors are an academic achievement awarded to undergraduate students based on GPA.
Honor Cords will be available for pick-up at the Warrior Hub. Honor Cords are worn pinned to the gown over the left shoulder.
- Purple cords for Cum Laude: Overall GPA between 3.600 and 3.749
- Silver cords for Magna Cum Laude: Overall GPA between 3.750 and 3.899
- Gold cords for Summa Cum Laude: Overall GPA between 3.900 and 4.000
Master’s candidates have hood colors based on their program.
- Nursing – Apricot
- Athletic Training – Sage Green
- Social Work – Citron
- Accounting – Drab
- Professional Science – Gold
- English - White
- Education – Light Blue
There is no summer commencement ceremony. However, summer graduates are welcome to participate in either the Spring ceremony prior or Fall ceremony after.
You can indicate which (if any) ceremony you will participate in through the graduation application.
Check your Degree Audit one last time. It should read: “All Requirements are Complete”.
Degrees are posted after final grades are submitted. You will be emailed when your transcript is updated with your degree.
Receive Your Diploma
Diplomas will be mailed to the address you provided in your graduation application.
Please allow 10-12 weeks for your diploma to arrive.
Verify your diploma address on your Graduation Application and update prior to the end-of-term of degree completion.