F-1 Student Employment Options

The intent of your visa as an F-1 student is to be in the U.S. to study. In general, employment in the U.S. is restricted for F-1 visa holders. F-1 students are able to work on campus and off campus in certain situations.

Learn more about rules for employment in the U.S.

On-Campus Employment

To work on-campus, an F-1 student is follow these rules:

  • You must maintain valid F-1 status
  • You can work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session
  • You can work full-time on campus during holidays and vacation periods if you intend to register for the next academic semester.
  • If you are transferring to another school, you are no longer able to work on campus on the day that your SEVIS record is transferred to that school

Off-Campus Employment

Under certain conditions, you may be able to work off-campus to gain practical training experience or due to economic need.

You may not begin the employment unless you have received official authorization from ISSS or the U.S. government.

Practical training is work permission to obtain on-the-job training in the student’s field of study. This work experience supplements and complements the academic program.

Learn more about off-campus employment options:

How to Find a Job or Internship

ISSS provides workshops on CPT and OPT employment in Fall and Spring semesters. Watch for events on the WSU ISSS Facebook with more details.

Use Handshake to look for on-campus jobs and off-campus internships. WSU Career Services can help you write a resume, prepare for an interview and get other job search assistance.