When you live on campus, it's likely you will have at least one roommate as the majority of our living options are traditional double occupancy rooms. The roommate request process is open for new students March 1 - May 1.
This is an optional process. Don't stress if you don't have someone to request as a roommate. Most of our students do not go through this process and get a random roommate during the room selection process. If you do get a random roommate, you'll have time to share info and get to known them before school starts.
- Join the FB Group for New Students or Transfer Students. Here you can introduce yourself and share your social with other students. Even if you don't find a roommate, it's a great way to start meeting your fellow Warriors!
- Fill out the lifestyle questions in your housing portal during the roommate request process ( March 1 - May 1). Here you will list preferences related to cleanliness, visitors, studying, and smoking.
- Introduce yourself when visiting campus for ChooseWSU or a Registration Day.
- Your coach might suggest you live with a teammate or another student athlete.
Requesting a Roommate
Students who want to live together must have a completed housing application (signed housing agreement and submit the $250 pre-payment) in order to do a roommate request.
Roommate groups for new incoming students are a maximum of two students per group (you and one friend).
How to Request a Roommate
- Login to your Housing Portal with your StarID and Password
- Click into your Housing Application
- If the process is open and you are eligible to do a roommate request, you will see the roommate pages in your application.
- Read through the Roommate Request Info page and follow the steps
Verify Your Roommate Group
- All students in a verified roommate group by May 1 will get to pick a room together during the room selection process in May.
- You and your roommate will be assigned the same room selection time slot for May 16 or 17. Your time slot is based on the average of the contract signed dates by you and your roommate.
- Room selection information will be sent via email after May 8.
Room Change Requests
Room change requests can be a result of many things, including wanting a different residence hall or room type, moving in with a friend, or possibly a roommate conflict. No matter the situation, know that the room change process can take some time depending on how many requests are received and what spaces are available.
Summer Room Change Process
Prior to the start of Fall Semester, a room change request process will be available June 1 - July 15 in your Housing Portal. The last day to submit a request will be July 15. Will will not make any room changes after August 1. This allows staff time to prepare the halls and rooms for opening. If we are not able to accommodate room change requests before school starts, we will notify the student via email.
- Students with a roommate preference should ensure BOTH students submit a room change request and indicate their roommate preference in the request.
- If we are able to honor a room change request, we will make the change and notify the student via email.
- On the room change request form, only indicate room options you are willing to change to.
- Keep in mind that different room types have different room rates.
- There is no going back to an old room assignment once a change has been made.
- There is no guarantee we will be able to make the change prior to the start of school.
- If we can accommodate to your request, you will be notified via email and your information will be updated on your Housing Portal.
Room Change Requests After You've Moved In
- Fall Semester: September 1, 2023 - October 31, 2023
- Spring Semester: January 22, 2024 - April 14, 2024