Winona State University Biology
Our mission is simple —to promote student success
- Providing a high-quality undergraduate education used as a solid foundation for further growth.
- Promoting student-driven research and scholarship exposing students to the possibilities of a fully realized educational experience.
These goals ensure that our graduates remain competitive in an ever expanding and evolving biology-centered job market as well as play influential and positive roles in our communities.
Biology offers thriving career options. A degree in biology lays the foundation for a bright future in a wide variety of areas. Many positions that require a background in biology are growing areas of the job market.
The need for physicians and surgeons is expected to increase by about 18% over the next decade.
WSU's pre-professional training of doctors, nurses, veterinarians, and clinical lab scientists (CLS) will develop fundamental knowledge, as well as provide hands-on practical skills using the latest equipment required to be successful.
- Opportunity to study in the Driftless Zone, an area bypassed by continental glaciers resulting in untouched topography.
- State-of-the-art laboratory and research facilities are equipped with instruments that are available for hands-on use by students both as part of the laboratory section of their biology courses and in their individual research projects.
- Large River Studies Center provides WSU biology students the opportunity to conduct research on the large river ecosystems and associated bodies of water.
- Large greenhouse located on campus to help students.
- Highly engaged faculty from around the globe with international affiliations.
- In collaboration with Winona Health Hospital, a new opportunity for students to perform the latest hands-on clinical research.
- Human Cadaver Dissection Lab